Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Joyride Ends in Tragedy

I just read about the death of a Lancaster, California man who died after his electric wheelchair caught fire and he couldn't escape. The irony of this is beautiful. The thing that was meant to give him a lease on life is the very thing that took his life away. There are very few details about the death, it appears that the motor caught fire, a neighbour heard his screams and called 911, when the fire department arrived he was engulfed in flames.

"It's horrible", said one firefighter.

They are refusing to say why the man was confined to a wheelchair. This leads me to believe that it was either something sick bastards like me would find amusing or worse still, it wasn't really his chair and he was just fucking around in it and couldn't get the seatbelt unfastened quickly enough.



Life Saver or Death Trap? You decide.


Whatever the reason, action needs to be taken now to prevent any further fatalities. I'm not suggesting that they be fitted with a fire extinguisher as that could be used as a weapon in instances of road rage. I am proposing that all electric wheelchairs be fitted with a James Bond style ejector seat. Not only would it be fuckin hilarious to watch some old geezer press the button by accident while cruising round the supermarket, taking up all the fuckin room in the aisles and stopping every five fuckin minutes to complain about the lack of accomodation for people with disabilities. It would add an element of excitement to their day. You know how old folks are when they get summat new, always fiddling with the fuckin thing, taking it apart, putting it back together again until they lose a vital screw, then proclaiming it defective. An ejector seat would be ideal and would almost certainly have saved this man's life.

I suggest writing to your Congressman today urging him/her to propose tough new regulatory laws to get the electric wheelchair business back in line.

On a separate note, I'm going to hell....

8 comments:

Fresh Hell said...

"On a separate note, I'm going to hell...."

I'll race you, win, and be wating for you at the rusty gates!

Ame said...

You ARE going to Hell ED! In a flaming wheelchair, right down the drain...for making a mocker of our poor disabled folk! GEEEZ! What a TRAGIC STORY! Ya sure that didn't happen in "Lancastershire" instead? It's almost unTHINKable here in the States! Think I'd rather eat black puddin' and fit that gal for a bra instead of reading stuff like THAT! Sigh~~~~

How's the Missus? And you KNOW we pretty much qualify as Neighbors right? And furthermore, did you even know I'm from So Cal? ;)

Or that I'm enjoying a glass of 2BC "Cab" as we're speaking? =)

Ame said...

Oooops, left the "Y" off my mocker...major FO-PAW! Changes the enTIRE meaning of your blog! ;)

Old Knudsen said...

if you're in one of those chairs you're on the way out anyway or just a fat fucker that can't be arsed walking, let them fry.

I'm Presbyterian so I can say anything and still get into Heaven.

Old Knudsen said...

I'd hate to have you pair as neighbours.

Eddie Waring said...

Fresh Hell - Save me a comfy seat, near the cool people.
Ame - It's natural selection. Sad but necessary. I need to make a trip to Trader Joe's myself, I will have a bottle for you.
Old Knudsen - You would love to be my neighbour. Imagine the hours of fun we would have shouting at the telly together. The day's would just fly by.

Bock the Robber said...

Great idea. Ejector seats for cripples. This looks like the start of a whole new sport: firing cripples at tinkers.

Brilliant.

Eddie Waring said...

Tinkers eh? The curse of society. This may provide much needed employment opportunities to the crippled community. Not a bad idea. I will be submitting it in an attempt to secure a grant from the Prince of Wales Trust which I will then spend on wine and mucky books. I am prepared to offer you a fiver for your creative input.