Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Almost there....

I finally got the feckin' xmas tree this morning, took the kid with me so she could choose and she did her dad proud by picking one that only cost $60 when I was planning on spending $80+. It's sitting in the living room, yet to be decorated, a job usually handled by the wife while I get drunk and watch. So at the least the house smells like christmas now. It's not helping much though as we are both struggling to get into holiday mood and it's only a week away. The tree dressing may be postponed until tomorrow at this rate.
I put the outside lights up, did a shitty half arsed job, my speciality in the area of DIY and decorating. I wish for my kid's sake that I was more creative or interested in the art of xmas lighting, but I'm not, so it will have to do. Luckily, a 5 year old is fairly easy to impress which suits my fairly low standards just fine. In any case, I put up all the lights we had, having to replace more than 20 bulbs and rendering a couple of strands useless in the process. We may need to buy some new ones next year.
Yesterday was the company party, every year we put something together for the employees and their families. The last 2 years we have done something at the office, had a santa show up and give gifts to the kids. Last year was something of a disaster though, the dickhead we had paid to organize everything fucked it up royally and ended up buying $5 pizzas from Little Caesars....very festive. So this year we held it at Dave & Busters, giving out game cards to each family and goodie bags for the kids, no Santa but I don't think he was missed. The food was cack, it was a "brunch buffet" and probably cost less than $500 of the $3500 we paid them. The kids had a good time though and it seemed like most of the guys hit the bar to celebrate the season thereby designating the wives/girlfriends (currently out shopping in the mall while the guy "watched the kids") as the driver home. So a good time was had by all, at least until the wives returned.
In addition to the family party, we have organized a thinly veiled piss up on Wednesday night for the guys, to be known for the purposes of expenses as a "team building exercise" under the guise of our "1st Annual 10 Pin Bowling Tournament." It should be a spectacle.
Right then, off to Trader Joe's for some wine and a nice piece of cheese.

No comments: