Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Interview

Got two days off work to try and get xmas shopping out of the way. I figured better to do it in the week rather than run the gauntlet of the mall on a weekend. Work smarter not harder - one of my many motto's. *makes mental note to post a list of motto's someday. I have a number of motto's, adaptable or applicable depending entirely on the circumstance and how I can benefit from it by applying said motto. It's not that I'm a particularly moral person, far from it in fact, it's more about appearing to be for personal gain. Anyway, I had an interview this morning for a promotion to a job I'm not 100% sure I want or even care if I get , but it is more money and probably less hours than I work right now so some of the above mentioned morals were definately bandied about and used to full effect in order to answer some of the questions. Where I work, we use behavioural based questions in interviews, the STAR format for anyone who might be reading this who doesn't know. I have the benefit of being one of the managers who conducts interviews when we are hiring, so I guess I think I know what the interviewers are looking for in an answer. It's hard to bluff your way through these types of questions as it's not necessarily what your answer is, it's how you answer it, for example:
"Give me an example of a time when you weighed up the pro's and con's of a situation and decided not to act despite being under pressure to do so, what did you do and what was the result?"
You really have to think, not just about a situation, but all the way through to the result before you answer otherwise you fuck up and can't complete the STAR. I won't relate my entire answer, but will say that the motto dusted off and rolled out for this one was "I'm always ready to sacrifice the battle to win the war." I think I nailed it. We will see..... As for the shoppping, I might just leave it 'til tomorrow.....

No comments: