Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Judy Tenuta

The wife and I managed to get out sans kid tonight for the 1st time in ages, some friends took her ice skating at Pershing Square while we went to see Judy Tenuta over in Hollywood. She was performing her "one woman musical (with 2 other people)", "Mountain Girl". I had never seen her before except for the odd appearance in Weird Al videos and a movie we rented off Netflix that she starred in that was shite. I can't even remember the name of the movie or even what it was about, but even so, I was looking forward to seeing her on stage as she struck me as being quite funny in the "odd" way that I like. Also, she knocks about with Emo Phillips, who is ace, so that puts her in good standing in my book.
We saw her at the Steve Allen Theatre on Hollywood Blvd, a tiny place inside the Center for Inquiry West, where we had seen Emo a couple of times last year. Anyway, it was a fun evening. Not side splitting by any means, but a cute, funny show with silly songs, silly jokes and and a silly plot set in Tennessee and about a singing waitress finding a long lost brother. Just what I needed really, it's good to get out now and again. Judy is really talented and even though I know she has been around for a long time, I'm surprised she isn't bigger. I mean she obviously has a loyal following and may even be put in the "acquired taste" category, but seems capable of being much more famous than she is. Maybe it was that terrible movie......

No comments: