Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

2Pacalypse Now

The Arsonists Anonymous field trip to the zoo ended prematurely

After burning over 800 acres of "chaparral", the Griffith Park fire is largely contained. No animals at the LA Zoo were hurt, no structures were damaged and no lives lost. Much of one of LA's areas of natural beauty however is gone, for a year or two until it grows back. The newly renovated Griffith Observatory was untouched and the precious Hollywood sign remains. Something tells me that if it were forced into a choice between saving rare and exotic animals or the famous sign, the City of LA would be out shopping for Elephants today. There were evacuations, just in case, although none mandatory and probably more for the sake of the TV news crews than anyone else. Don't misunderstand me, I'm sad about it all, the hillside looks horrible today and the landscape behind the Observatory just looks....well, weird. Where I am used to seeing green and brown, now all I see is grey and black. Kind of like my blog.

There are of course many tales and news reports about the fire, but one in particular caught my eye in the LA Times, or rather one sentence:

"Gabriella Parra, 40, and her son, Tupac Otero, 3, fled their Richland Avenue apartment about 8 p.m. while her husband stayed behind."

Tupac? Fuckin' Tupac? Who in the name of G.M.Chrysler would call their kid Tupac? What, Biggie Otero didn't quite have the same ring? Afraid the other kids might tease if you called him Snoop? Ol' Dirty Bastard just didn't do it for you? Come on people, have some decorum. Besides, the kid is 3 years old, meaning he was born in 2003 at the earliest. Tupac was offed back in 1996. I could almost understand if you were the worlds biggest Tupac fan and your kid just happened to be born on the day Tupac died, then and only then you might consider, whilst in a state of epidural induced bliss calling the little angel Tupac but only because you would certainly change your mind later when you came around. But to actually do it. That is some keerrraaayzzeee shit you be smokin' sista.

Now I know that according to some people Tupac is considered the Worlds greatest ever rapper. I don't know much about rap but if he is better than the bloke out of Cameo then he gets my vote too. Tupac was obviously idolized by millions, at least 75 million if you go by record sales, so it's feasible that somebody, somewhere is going to be daft enough to name their kid after him.

In a town like LA, crazy kid names are the norm but it isn't just here. I have friends back in the UK who are calling their kids after all sorts of poor role models. My cousin named his little boy Liam, after Liam Gallagher, the nob head. I know people with girls called Britney, Phoebe, Courtney. If people are intent on naming their kids after TV stars and pop singers, where are the Hilda's or the Vera's? The Norman's or the Englebert's? What happened to keeping family names going in memory of loved ones? ....shit, look at the time. I have put Galaxy Sparkle to bed, she gets cranky if it gets too late.

10 comments:

Troika said...

I'm not surprised her husband stayed behind.

The Mistress said...

The Notorious E.D.D.I.E. has a nice ring.

Fat Sparrow said...

"What happened to keeping family names going in memory of loved ones?"

That's funny, I was just talking about that with the Spouse Sparrow the other day. Our kids have nice, traditional names, unlike our relatives Eugene Hayward, Thelma Lorraine, Hector George, Eunice Lula, Marvin Hershell, and Vinetta. All perfectly valid people, and I would have liked to have named my kids after a few of them, but I don't know what the fuck their parents were thinking.

"I'm sad about it all, the hillside looks horrible today and the landscape behind the Observatory just looks....well, weird. Where I am used to seeing green and brown, now all I see is grey and black."

That's too bad about the hillsides. The Ex and I used to go up to see the Pink Floyd laser show (I know, how sad is that?) up at Griffith Observatory and then get chased off by the cops as we tried parking and fucking in the car. Really not worth the trouble; as soon as we'd find a secluded area, park, get naked, and steam up the windows, there'd be a cop knocking on the car, telling us to move it along. Fucking fascists.

savannah said...

too funny re the names but so la, mencias did a bit on his show the other day about "cute" names...re the fires...i used to live up on mt washington and could see the backside of the park and the top of the observatory..the fire looked horendous on the news and brought back every memory of hilside fires in la...

give galaxy sparkle a kiss for me!

*chuckling*

Old Knudsen said...

Arsonists Anonymous

Get out of my head waring, I'm trying to do a post about support groups when blogger lets me.

ellie said...

When Elton John was still a straight man I heard a mother call "Nakeeedah" in a broad Belfast accent... Nakita had Irish red hair and a bubble of snot blowing out of each nostril, the song has never been the same since.

Anonymous said...

Might have been worse. They could have called him P.

Eddie Waring said...

Troika - No doubt to guard the precious Tupac collection.

MJ - ScratchMaster E to the W was sadly already taken.

FS - Well, more bad news for you. They scrapped the laser show. I only saw it once and spent the entire show wishing I had taken the acid I had risked my freedom smuggling into the country. My daughter is named after both our Grandmothers by the way.

Savannah - I live on the "lower slopes" of Mt. Washington, where the wild dogs and feral cats roam free.

Knudsen - Maybe we should start a blogger support group? We meet weekly on the internet, everyone brings their own donut.

Ellie - I know what you mean. Every time I hear 'Rocket Man' I start to cry. Rocket Man, my first cat was squashed by the bin wagon, on my birthday. It's so strange how Elton can trigger ones emotions.

Bock - Right over my head mate. I'm not too brainy right now. Mucho Corona's amigo.

Momentary Madness said...

Tupac was the Worlds greatest rapper. Right in the heart of it man. You should know that Eddie you were the first one to pick up on the wall of sound when hardly anyone else knew anything about it.
I think you putting me on. Yes, definitely keep the sign; get new animals tomorrow...just jokink with you. Cool Eddie, good post.
Y:-) Paddy

Fat Sparrow said...

They got rid of the Pink Floyd laser show?! What is this world coming to?!