Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Wake Me Up At Half Time

It's time once again for the annual snooze fest that is the Superbowl. Nothing could be lower on my list of priorities today than sitting watching what is historically a poor example of a poor sport. I know I'm going to infuriate any Yanks reading but that's probably why I am doing this.

I'm sorry America but when the commercials attract more interest than the actual game something is wrong. Indeed not just the Superbowl but the entire sport is ruled by advertising and games are played according to the whims of the network which sold the ad time.Last years game was upstaged by Janet Jackson flopping out a tit, the shock, the horror, the disgrace! Or was that two years ago? I don't remember, all I do know is that people were not talking about the game for the next several weeks were they?

The same could be said of the NBA to a lesser extent and Major League Baseball which is a slow game anyway and the ads are needed to allow you to go and piss out the 4 pints of beer you just drank watching one inning.

I don't follow the NFL. I watch the college game now and again because they seem to be willing to take chances and actually do something creative on the field rather than stick to a game plan to the letter. I'm a football (real football!) and rugby man. 80 or 90 minutes, end to end with a break for a cup of tea and a slice of orange then back to it. No time outs to speak of and no endless debates about whether or not DeAndre Washington put his little toe out of bounds before he caught the ball or after. Of course debates such as this allow for even more commercials while they make up their minds and bring out the tape measure.

NFL players are pussy's. Soft shites who almost always take a knee rather than hit some fucker head on and generate some excitement. The moronic wanker commentators go on and on about how big these guys are and what great athletes they are. Big yes. Athletes no. I'll concede that the running backs and wide receivers are athletic, they spent their teenage years running from the cops and robbing houses. You need to stay in fairly good shape to be successful at that. The linebackers on the other hand are big fuckin' puddin's and do fuck all except stand in the way trying to swat some other big lummox away. Watch a game of Super League or Guinness Premiership, Magners League or Heineken Cup. They are some fuckin' athletes.

American sport on the whole is poor. I'm not gonna apologize. It's shite. You don't get nearly enough streakers and your insistence on there being a winner is tiresome. Overtime, Double Overtime, Triple Overtime, Extra Innings.....Fuck off and call it a draw.

While I'm on one here, let's talk about MLS. You wasted your money on Beckham you fuckin' gimps. He's a larger, older fish in a stagnant pond of small, severely handicapped fish. Your average MLS game is like watching a Lancashire Combination relegation battle. I can't watch MLS. It hurts my eyes and my ears and makes me feel ill. The marriage of shit football and commentators who haven't got the first fuckin' clue is too much for me to handle. I'm not fuckin' interested which school the players went to or what their brothers do for a living. I don't give a shit about their hobbies or interests. Just stick to the game as it was meant to be played and stop trying to reinvent it and make it your own.

Even horse racing and car racing is simplified to the point where they just go round in circles. I think hockey is the only true sport you have and nobody watches that, I'll give you basketball as well cause I'm feeling generous.

Wake up America. Get rid of the commercials and speed up the games. You might even attract enough new viewers and fans to make up for the lost millions in advertising revenue.

Fuck it. Just for the hell of it here it is again.


Despicable! There were kids watching y'know.

10 comments:

HKMGB said...

I couldn't agree more.

I woke up this morning and wanted to catch a re-run of the Wales/Ireland rugby, but all they had was the fucking Superbowl. I watched for 10 minutes and must have seen about 30 seconds of actual action. And that was fucking pitiful. And what is it with the managers and coaches wearing those massive headsets and microphones? They look like they're 15 years out of date when it comes to mobile communications.

Didn't the yanks try to persuade us to have football games of four quarters when the World Cup was held in the USA? Just to get more ads into one game?

Knobheads

Eddie Waring said...

Probably. Luckily I have Setanta Sports and they were showing England v Scotland as well as the Prem review show. Thank fuck for Setanta.

Old Knudsen said...

I have also played rugby in my time without a load of pads and a helmet I must add, gheyers the lot of them.

Anonymous said...

You are obviously right - they should limit the time to 45 minutes each way, get rid of the silly outfits and padding and stuff and arm the players!

MommyHeadache said...

"American sport on the whole is poor. I'm not gonna apologize." No need to, mate, you're spot on. And I have to live in this bloody country! You should pity me! I'd have to pay for satellite to watch soccer as it is called here. I 'watched' the Superbowl yesterday, but fell asleep. I thought I was having a nightmare about Prince wearing a salmon and baby blue outfit and wearing a Hilda Ogden hairscarf. Alas, I awoke, and found it wasn't a dream ...

Fresh Hell said...

I'm afraid this Yank has to side with the Redcoats on this one. The nauseating tedium of most of my fine country's sports is unbearable. And again, Eddie, I agree with you about hockey and basketball. But not enough to pay for television. That's what bars are for.

HKMGB said...

And what about that fucking wrestling? The fucking WWF or something.

Jesus wept.

Bock the Robber said...

Eddie. What the fuck is going on here? Why the fuck were you not watching Ireland vs Wales instead of that other shite?

Anonymous said...

Also wanking is more fun!!

Eddie Waring said...

Knudsen - It all depends on your definition of gay.
Mutley - Hard to argue with. Wanking is more fun but not while watching sports.
Emma - I too live Stateside. I'm taking cool expat points away from you for even attempting to watch the superbowl. At least you fell asleep. I had that similar nightmare but it was Hilda Ogden dressed as Prince singing Alphabet Street.
Fresh Hell - You are very close to achieving honourary brit status. Keep it up.
Bock - Hmmm. Ireland v Wales. If I thought it would have any bearing on the outcome of the 6 Nations I would have been watching. Please remind me to eat my words at a later date if necessary.
Lambent - WWF amuses me, gives me a perspective. Proves that people will buy any old shite. There is hope for us all mate.