Tales of nonsense and items of little interest, sometimes true, always poorly thought through. Less sophisticated than most newspapers and magazines.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Wild Women! Gorillas! Unbelievable!

Grrrrr!! Titty!! Grrrrr!!
I've never seen 'Ingagi' but I like the poster so I'm going to recommend it based on that and the premise of gorillas kidnapping and shagging bald, big titted tribeswomen. It all makes for a rather splendid time.
I'm not so sure that it would be "The most sensational picture ever filmed!", but having never seen it, I can't disprove it and am willing to let my imagination believe that it is so.
The book I stole it from sez that the film was made in 1930 and was shot in Los Angeles Zoo and combined with old expedition footage and that many people actually believed that the story about a gorilla having sex with indigenous women. The film also featured unknown jungle creatures, which upon investigation, turned out to be turtles with fake wings and tails stuck on them. The 'pygmies' in the film were local LA children. This sounds fucken ace.
The film's producers were sued for stealing documentary footage from a 1914 film, 'Heart of Africa', but the movie went on to be successful for many years.
I'm off to Netflix to see if they have it......
I suppose I should credit the book it came from, "Exploitation Poster Art" Edited by Tony Nourmand and Graham Marsh. Aurum Press. It's a British book. Loads of great movie posters in it.

4 comments:

FirstNations said...

Dammit, I came here with a diaper full of corn and now I have to go google this fantastic sounding book.
curse you eddie waring.
curse you.

Eddie Waring said...

First Nations - Welcome to the beanbag. Can I interest you in a cocktail peanut or two? It is a very good book, loads of risque posters that promise way more titillation than the films themselves actually deliver. Mrs. Waring picked it up at an independent bookstore here in LA, but I'm sure you can get it online, well not 100% sure but I'm assuming you can. Cost about $36.

Foot Eater said...

A few months ago I was in an amateur production of Tennessee Williams's Suddenly Last Summer. This play has a recurring thematic motif of turtles being disembowelled by carnivorous birds. Before I disappear up my own arsehole, I feel obliged to suggest that the rather queer Mr Williams might have seen this film prior to penning his rather sordid little drama.

Eddie Waring said...

He likely owned a collection of racy stereoscope cards that he would view with his "young friends".